Saturday, April 26, 2008

Saturday, April 26

Saturday, April 26

Nick was up at 4:30am. Saying how hungry he was. I tried to get him back to sleep, but no such luck. By 9am, he was tired and hungry again. The makings for a grumpy day. It wouldn’t be the start of the day without a walk outside to see the fish market. The nice fish guy is always trying to talk to Nick. Today he tried to hand him a huge shrimp. Nick had none of it. So he put it in a bag with water. We have a pet! Nick was so proud. “Let’s show Grammy and eat for dinner!” Grammy claims the shrimp eyes were staring at her and the shrimp just gave me the creeps. So he’s in the trash right now. Still in his water bag. Sorry shrimpy.




We made our way to the ferry to ride to Kowloon. A super quick and cheap trip! Not sure which Nick enjoyed more, the ferry ride or watching the many construction vehicles that are working outside the docks. Kowloon was a zoo. Maybe because it’s Saturday? We spent the day shopping (Mary and I constantly asking each other “does that mean $80 or $800?”) and then lunch at the Peninsula. Nick ordered the jumbo hot dog, which was HUGE. He managed to get 2 bites in and was munching on a fry when his eyes starting to close. He ended up sleeping in his chair with his napkin used as a blanket. The people watching was even better than the lunch. Nick woke up about ½ hour later and asked for more food. We had them wrap up the rest of his hot dog. It came out in an elegant box complete with bow. Yep, that was the rest of his jumbo dog.






We tiredly made our way to the IFC market to check out the City Super supermarket we’d heard so much about. Then finally home. But then Nick and I headed out again to find water and converters. The woman at the electric store asked me the voltage of my items. Uhhhh – big? So I went home, bagged them all up and came back to the store. Turns out my hairdryer is just too powerful and it would be cheaper to buy a new dryer than a converter for it. Guess it’s time I finally admit I can’t travel with it. One of us must have called the converter a "transformer", because Nick likes to point to it and I have to explain the difference between an electric transformer and the robot/car Transformers he plays with. My eyes are very itchy today. Lack of sleep or pollution?

Nick had a total meltdown around 9pm. A few minutes later he was fast asleep, with Grammy and me following. What a day!

No comments: