Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Broken Bones


My side of the story:

Peri and I were off to get groceries. I let C know I was taking his keys and mine because I needed the stroller out of his car and the recyclable bags out of mine. And was too lazy to bring the keys back inside once I was outside. I also couldn’t find my cell phone, so was heading out unreachable for a while. No biggie.

Get into the grocery store and have a basket loaded up with some yummy berries and yogurt. Hear a page of “Will Heather Nordwill, please come to Customer Service. Heather Nordwil”. Hmmm-is that me? “Heather? There’s a gentleman on line 1 who’d like to speak with you” Get the line to find Chris in a panic about the car keys. “I told you I was taking them all – what’s wrong?” “Nick – he broke his wrist. I have to get to the hospital. I’m taking a cab!” “No, no, calm down, put ice on it and I’ll be there in 10 minutes”. Yes, I did briefly wonder if I should buy the basket of groceries. BRIEFLY! I did not. Left it at a counter telling the man I was leaving it and was so sorry.

Me, flip flops, 90 degrees, stroller, RUNNING home. Running, then stopping to walk a bit. Running, then walking. Flip flops and a stroller are killer! Peri meanwhile is enjoying the wind ride and has her bowl of apple turned up so apples are flying on either side of the stroller as we run.

Get home to find Nick looking scared on the couch, Chris ready to roll and the contents of my purse strewn across the entry floor. Nope, the keys weren’t in there!. “Are you sure it’s broken?” was not answered until Nick finally piped up from the back seat “It’s all bendy”. Ugh.

Chris’ side of the story:

Finished watching the Blackhawks win. Had just put a load of laundry in when Nick said he wanted to go back outside in the pool. Was folding one more item when I heard “thump, thump, thump” down the basement stairs. Found Nick at the bottom crying. Not sure how he got up on the couch, but he was there while I ran around yelling “WHERE ARE THE KEYS? WHERE THE F&*(K ARE THEY KEYS. F&(*K F(&K F&(K!” Tried calling 911, but couldn’t dial straight. Tried 411 to find Heather. “TRADER JOES CHICAGO, IL!” “C H I C A G O , I L T R A D E R J O E S”. Found Heather. She’s on her way. Look outside “WHAT? Both cars are here? She walked?! She better be getting a cab here! F(*^K F(*&K”. Finally sat down with Nick on the couch since that's what he really needed.

Nick’s side of the story:

“I was climbing up the stairs and down the stairs and then I fell down the stairs”.

One trip to the ER and all is well. Bone is set. Found out it's the most commonly broken bone in the body - who knew? We got to see Nick on narcotics (street name Special K). He told us the tubes in his hand shot fire, ice and dinosaur acid. But that may have been before the drugs…He's in a cast for 6 weeks, is done with his t-ball, hockey and never-even-started-swimming-lessons for the season. Nick is fine. Only complaining he's done is about the itching.

1 comment:

Shannon Fitzgibbons said...

ohhh......so bad but so funny at the same time!