Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dark

One night a few weeks ago found me rushing home to pick up the kids, trying to get everyone fed, in bed on time and myself packed for a long weekend trip. The plan was totally working until the electricity went off. I was in the home office putting on my Out of Office when everything went dark. I thought it was just the back room, until I heard Nick in the front room, “Moooommmmmmmmmm”. I hustled in there and he latched onto my leg. We couldn’t find a match in the house to save our lives. Thought I’d light a skewer from the gas stove to then light a candle. Others have since poo-poo’d this idea, but I still think it was a good one. But the stove wouldn’t light. Which doesn’t make sense since its gas…but whatever. So we went upstairs in the dark and found his rechargeable night light ready to go. I explained we could have fun with it and pretend it was like the olden days when they went to bed as soon as it got dark. Nick was having none of it. He just wanted to crawl in my bed and pretend none of this was happening. Coop's dad was running by our house that night and saw the street had lost power. He called his house to tell them and Coop got all worried. “Oh no, this isn’t good. Nick doesn’t like the dark. He needs to see everything in front of him. This isn’t good.” How sweet is that? A friend who totally knows you. At age 6. I love it.

No comments: