Thursday, May 1, 2008

Friday, May 2

Friday, May 2

Today is proving to be a challenge. 3 or 4am I wake up to hear Nick saying “uh mom, look”. Well there was nothing to see, but there certainly was a puddle to feel. Normally we just strip the sheets, toss Nick in our bed and everyone goes back to sleep. But when you’re sharing a bed in Hong Kong…The beds here have a mattress, down mattress pad, mattress pad cover, fitted sheet and then a down comforter with cover. No flat sheet. So we stripped off the fitted sheet and the “pee pad” that Grammy was so smart to bring and slept on the mattress pad cover. Of course this was a big accident that made it’s way to the comforter too. So we flipped that over and moved on with life. Have I told you about the sleeping arrangements we’ve had since we moved into the new apartment? The fold out couch promised to us was a dream. And Mary doesn’t sleep well and sometimes gets up at 3am to read. So she’s taken the living room as her bedroom and has been putting the couch cushions on the floor with a beach towel over them, 2 pillow from the bed and 2 of Nick’s blankets. Her own mini futon-like bed. It seems very sad, but she swears she’s comfortable. After last night’s fiasco, I think she might be onto something!

Rain today. Which is sad not only because my hair is a frizz ball, but because the Olympic torch is coming thru Central Hong Kong today! Will they still run in the rain? How exciting and scary! It’s supposed to run right in front of the office building, so hoping I can see it out the window. Did I ever tell you guys my story of holding the torch when it came through Annapolis, MD years ago? I picked an unfortunate day to wear overall shorts (come on, poor grad student, 90’s), so the photo is hidden away somewhere safe.

Rain continued – I’ve told you about the escalator that goes for miles. Well, there’s a hop-on point right up the hill from our apartment. So I decided to ride it today to stay out of the rain. Well, cute/wet flats and escalators don’t mix. Within 1 step on the escalator my left leg slid forward, my right foot turned in and I automatically let out this strange wounded animal yelp. So embarrassing. Not to mention the grate marks that are now on my foot. Too make matters worse, I made it to work to find my cup of pineapple had spilled all in my leather bag.

It’s got to get better, right??

No comments: