Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Wednesday, May 7

Wednesday, May 7

I am so accident prone this year and believe that bad things happen in threes. So anticipating number 3 (1: hand, 2: tooth) anytime now. No, no. That’s not a self-fulfilling prophecy. Just past experience. Or maybe I’m taking on the superstitions of Hong Kong? Hopefully it’ll wait until I get back in the States. I did find out that according to the Chinese New Year (which began in February) it’s the year of the Rat. That’s my year! A colleague in the HK office shares this birth year with me and explained that according to Chinese superstition, there are two things that can be done to ensure we have a smooth year – ride a cow (could also be sitting on the back of a person who is born during the cow new year) or carry a gold cow charm the entire year. I’m searching for a charm ASAP. My recent bad luck (starting in Feb – a coincidence? I think not) could be due to my lack of a cow?!

Nick – what a big head he’s going to come back to the states with. Shopkeepers give him candy and toys. Restaurants give him free ice cream. People stop him on the street to hi-five him and touch his hair or face. Totally spoiled. He attracts so much attention here. And he doesn’t even realize this isn’t normal. I was warned that it would be even more so if we venture into mainland China or Hong Kong Disney. I was told they’ll want to hold him and take photos. I’d like to see someone try to hold him. He’s been practicing his karate arms.

When I first read the sign in the elevator stating “This is a 3G-enabled building”, I immediately thought of earth quakes. Can it handle a 5.0 or larger?! Wait, should I be on the lookout for earthquakes or Typhoons?! A quick Google search seems to say “3G-enabled” means you can use your cell phone in the elevators and not lose service. But I’m still not convinced…

Funny to hear everyone speaking Chinese in the office, because it will a normal conversation smattered with English phrases. “你好。我叫從 consulting firm 斯圖爾特。想知道如果您有時間聊天關於機會。我們的客戶尋找一"thought leader"... 他們製造大豆產品, soy products, 等。謝謝在您的時間。Bye bye!

No comments: