Monday, September 28, 2009

City Woes

I love filling out forms. Something about having the right answers to put in the right spots. Anyway, when Peri was born, they had me a pile of paperwork to fill out, one of them being a form to receive her birth certificate. I filled that sucker out right away. Then sat on it for 2 months because turns out you either need to photocopy your ID and send it in, or go in person to submit the form. Sigh.

So a few weeks ago I was downtown at the County office to appeal our property tax hike. I got right to the correct office and was seen within 5 minutes. They couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. As I was leaving, I noticed the department of vital records was in the same building. But I only saw an escalator. When I asked if there was an elevator, I was told "no" and that I'd have to cross the street to the next building, which is where the escalator leads to. Well, not enough time on the meter for that one, so I left.

Fast forward to last week when I was downtown for Peri's 11 week checkup (she's huge and great!) and thought I'd get this taken care of. So first I went to the "building across the street" thinking I'd outsmart them. Nope, they told me the address I wanted was in the other building. So back to the old building. Found the room. Waited in line only to have a note handed to me (not talking) saying "To obtain birth or death certificates go to Daley Center Vital Records room". Sigh. Rather than ask again about an elevator, I decided to brave the escalator and just get this over with. Me and stroller. Peri was all strapped in, so I decided to go first and pull the stroller after me. Except that left Peri on the landing while I did a Fred Flinstone scramble to get back up the escalator to get her. Some guy came over to tell me I couldn't take the stroller down the escalator. Duh! So the two of us are standing at the top of the escalator as I dismantle the stroller and try to take that in one hand and the car seat/Peri in the other hand down the escalator. Don't worry - she does survive this "dumb mom move". Meanwhile, a woman is at the top of the escalator between me and the guy saying "Excuse me!" Yes lady, we see you and we're trying to move. Finally, we're on our way down the escalator. Guy is still following me to give helpful advice?! And a security guard starts yelling "You have to go through a revolving door down there". So I keep everything dismantled and wait to get through the door except everyone insists on pushing it as fast as possible.

I finally make it to the vital records office. I'm sweating and flustered. And the lady couldn't have been nicer to me. Sigh.

Chicago - your employees in the offices rock! The "helpful staff" directing folks in the buildings - not so much.

And guess what I found on my way out the door. An elevator. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr.

No comments: