Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Bargaining

So I hate bargaining. The stuff in Beijing is already inexpensive as it is. And who needs the $20 more? I would gladly hand over my money without asking for a discount. But all the locals and expats tell me that I'm ruining it for the rest of them and must not tip or buy without haggling. So I try my hand in one store and they see me for the fake that I am. I walk away feeling fine that I tried and got a tiny discount. They sat there as I walked away and laughed crying "sucker" in Chinese. The next store I didn't even try to haggle. A few days later I went with a colleague who helped me play good cop/bad cop. I walked out amazed at the price we had negotiated. Granted, it involved the sales lady hanging onto my arm and almost crying at one point. But damn if I didn't get $20 off the price. Wait, all that for $20. Oh jeesh. I hate bargaining.

No comments: