Monday, June 16, 2008

Monday, June 16

Monday, June 16

Although I find the crowds here to be very rude (pushing, shoving, cutting in line), there are some very nice customs. When someone pours you tea, you tap your first two fingers on the table next to your cup to say “thank you”. When handing cashiers money or business cards to colleagues, you hold the money/card with both hands to present and they accept with both hands. I learned that one in Japan years ago and was happy to find it here.

Jo San. That’s the one Chinese phrase I’ve learned. It means “good morning” and is said in a sing-song voice. “JO saaaaannnnn”.

One of the fun things here is access to the European fashion magazines. They’re just a little different from the ones back home, and often come with a free gift. So the latest Elle comes with a small Orla Kiely bag. I love her stuff, so decided Elle was the magazine for me that day. Well, apparently in my rush to get a free bag, I didn’t notice that the entire magazine was in Chinese. Hong Kong version vs. London. Live and learn.

No comments: