Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wednesday, June 18

Wednesday, June 18

Costumes shops can be found all over the street markets. Wigs, costumes, masks. You name it. Apparently Hong Kongians use any festival/holiday/celebration as an excuse to wear a costume. A colleague went to a rugby match and said everyone was decked out as if it were Mardi Gras. I haven't seen anyone in costume yet, but the stalls are always full on the weekends. And wouldn’t you know, when I went to grab this photo one day, I ran into a co-worker who was buying a costume for a Hawaiian themed party later that week.

Food. So I’ve been in ignorant bliss for 8 weeks. Since everything is listed in kcals, I haven’t felt guilty about eating. But then I had some yogurt that listed kcal and calories. Ugh. Good thing there are lots of hills to walk here. Although I go to Pret A Manger just about every day for lunch, I like to think that I’ve had a nice mix of western and Asian food since I’ve been here. I’ve realized that I prefer Thai, Vietnamese and Japanese food to Chinese food. I find Cantonese Chinese food a bit bland. I’ve been told that Sichuan is VERY spicy, but never got around to trying any. Some of my favorite meals: fried mini soft-shell crabs (except for the legs, which embarrassingly accumulated on my plate), local fish prepared by a co-worker’s nanny and the Vietnamese restaurant in Stanley with noodles and ginger beer. Some of my worse meals: Mak’s noodles (fun and glad we went, but the more I think about it, the more I really don’t know what we were eating and it smelled a little like the meat-market to me), some of my shrimp meals – how the heck do you peel shrimp with chop sticks?!, the boring meals I made myself once everyone left (it’s no fun to cook for one in a tiny kitchen without an oven) and the mystery meat at McD’s. But no worries-I didn’t starve ;)

No comments: