Saturday, June 14, 2008

Saturday/Sunday, June 14/15

Saturday/Sunday, June 14/15

Two words for this weekend - Mr. Softie. I headed to Kowloon to pick up a few last gifts on my last weekend and almost jumped for joy when I saw Mr. Softie right by the ferry terminal. I may try during lunch one day this week, just to get my Mr. Softie fix.
Jill invited me to a jazz club Saturday night, where her friend was playing the harmonica. They were awesome! You would never guess this little jazz club was hidden in an unassuming building near my apartment. And how funny to hear a true jazz band, and look up to see the throaty voice is coming from a thin, young Chinese guy. The one bad thing about the club was the smoke. I left with itchy eyes and smelling like an ashtray. Since Chicago went smoke-free, life has been a joy! It was nice to get out and actually meet people outside of work. The whole side of our table was from the East Coast! When you’re only here for 2 months, there’s not much incentive to make friends. So it was nice to have someone share their friends with me for a night and see a different side of Hong Kong, where it could actually be fun to live long term.

Bamboo. This is what is used for scaffolding. Amazing. I realize it’s strong and all, but it still throws me when I walk by and see a tall building with bamboo sticking out all around, and then men climbing among the bamboo.





Happy Father’s Day!! It doesn’t seem to be as big as Mother’s Day in Hong Kong, but maybe they just don’t make big red heart pillows saying “I love you mum” for Dads? Nope, it's even bigger here! They make bread in the shapes of faces. Dad faces. You can pick from one with a mean face, a happy face or one with glasses. Too funny. Now I'm sorry I didn't get my camera out while I was in the grocery store.

No comments: