Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Monday-Thursday, June 2-5

Monday-Thursday, June 2-5

June is the rainy season in Hong Kong, and boy do they mean it. Rain everyday. But I woke up to sunshine today!!! That sure helps my mood. The covered flyways have been a godsend during the rain. My hair has been a nightmare. I was on the covered escalator to work yesterday and had learned (the hard way) not to try and walk on the escalator in wet shoes weeks ago. Every 30 seconds or so you could hear someone biting it. I just stayed to the right with a smug smile on my face. No doubt karma will bite me in the butt for being smug.


Dinner Tuesday night at a little Mediterranean place on the beach. A 20 minute cab ride takes you to tropical locals that seem miles away from the city. It was raining (of course), but we were able to stay covered and enjoy the most amazing view - mountains, water lit by moonlight. If I hadn't been with a friend from work and her husband, it would have been romantic! And mosquitoes. Is it acceptable to bring out bug spray at dinner? We did. If I didn't know better, I would have sworn we were on some Greek Island. Lesson learned Tuesday night - do not check your emails in the cab ride home, if you don't really know where you are and you've had a few cocktails. The cab stopped at where he thought I lived. It was not. Luckily after a few seconds I realized where we were and hopped out to walk the 3 blocks back to where I do live.


The countdown until the Beijing 2008 Olympics is all over the city. The Olympics begin on 8/8/08. Not a coincidence that 8 is a lucky number in China, as it resembles the word for “wealth”. There are posters & stickers all over the city of the 5 mascots – fish, panda, antelope, swallow and Olympic flame. Apparently each has a matching two syllable name, which is a way of expressing affection for children in China. Nick assigned us each a mascot when he was here. And would tell us all about it when we rode the escalators, which had stickers of the mascots every few feet. “Mom’s the blue one! I’m the green one! Dad’s the yellow one!”. I’m Beibei (fish), Chris is Yingying (antelope) and Nick is Nini (the swallow). When all 5 names are put together (Bei Jing Huan Ying Ni) it says “Welcome to Beijing”. The equestrian portion of the summer Olympics will be held in Hong Kong. Of course it would not be a Nick/Hong Kong outing with some sort of bathroom emergency. See the dance shot below from a few weeks back.


No comments: