Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tuesday, June 17

Tuesday, June 17

Most restaurants and stores have small, red temples outside their main door. Incense is burned and placed in these temples, as well as fruit (I’ve seen apples, oranges and pears). I asked a co-worker about it and she explained that it's a temple set up to worship the gods. Most families have such temples inside their houses. You'll also see glasses of water inside the windows of many storefronts/restuarants. At first I thought it was water to keep the ivory and other wares from drying out. But turns out they are small glasses of wine to make the gods happy. Apparently this is very common in Vietnam and Thailand as well.


I’ve read about some of the wonderful foot soaks and reflexology massages that are in Hong Kong. But as much as my tired tootsies would have loved a soak, I always seemed to be nursing a blister (too much walking) and didn't want to have to blog about why my foot fell off.


Phone service. Not so good. Some days, we can’t even call into China. My blackberry phone was out of commission, except for ½ day in the 4th week when it came on for a few minutes. Funny how much I rely on my mobile phone back home, but how easily I’ve gotten by without it. Pay phones, picking exact meeting times, leaving notes at the house. Guess it’s what we used to do before mobile phones.

No comments: