Monday, August 18, 2008

Kayak

We went to visit some friends this weekend at their lake house. We had lunch and then hopped in the kayaks for a little paddle. I got the smaller red kayak and Chris was in the larger green one. Since his was larger, it was suggested that Nick ride in the front of his kayak. We all got our life vests on and hopped in the kayaks. Nick sat on the edge of the dock and was working with Chris to jump down into the kayak. Yes, you see where this is going…One hop turned into a bounce off the kayak, causing Chris to tip over and Nick to fly under the dock. Happy to say the life jacket did its duty (brought him right up) and Chris’s long arms grabbing the front of Nick helped as well. How Chris got out from under the kayak and grabbed Nick so fast, I’ll never know. I was still sitting in my kayak stunned. It all happened within 5 seconds. A few coughs and he was fine. That little trooper still wanted to go out in the kayaks, but said “I think I’ll ride with Mom”. Ha! Luckily we didn’t scar him for life. We had a great paddle and he even went out on the motor boat later that day. Love those life jackets. He had us repeat the story to him all weekend. He would add in “and then bubbles came out of my mouth” and “I can swim!”. I so wish I’d had my camera out for before and after photos.

No comments: